I’m a hot mess mom and that’s ok. I don’t mean the mom who doesn’t take care of her home, kids, or man because well no one wants to be that kind of a mess. I’m talking the hot mess mom where after all the mothering you got going on you have decided to just give in to the kids. You realize you will never pee alone, finish a bath without some sort of audience, and all dignity and self-respect are just a thing of the past.
If you have ever watched your kid drop their sippy then pick it back up without you washing it you may be me in training. If you have done a sniff test of the yoga pants you forgot to count how many days you have been wearing you may just be me. There are a lot of ways you can tell that you just may be a hot mess.
You may be a hot mess mom if:
Here are just a few ways I was able to identify I’m a hot mess.
- Yoga pants, a tank or t-shirt, and flip-flops are your daily outfit. You wear flip-flops because let’s face it you are not in exercise clothes to hit the gym. They are comfy and quite honestly can be worn for days before anyone notices.
- You have sniff tested articles of clothing to find out can they be worn again.
- You have ever worn your clothes inside out and its taken you all day to either be told or realize on your own.
- It is perfectly acceptable to brush your hair and head out the door in your pajamas to drop the kids at school because you shouldn’t have to get out the car anyway.
- Your kids understand socks don’t have to match exactly. They just have to be the same color
- Your kids hate the healthy dinner you made and you realize you do too. So its pizza or cereal for dinner.
- As you ate the pizza or cereal for dinner you have had the realization that pizza has all the major food groups and cereal is high in fiber so you still consider it a healthy win.
- Coffee or some form of caffeine is a necessity. It’s not just delicious it’s now a savior of all the little people running around you. Its the zen in the chaos.
- You often wonder if 10 am is too early for that glass of wine. But hey its gotta be 5 o’clock somewhere right?
- Exercise is chasing your children around trying to save them from themselves daily. No other form is required.
- Baby wipes are used as a full body washing method, cleaning wipes for the car, counters, and whatever else needs wiping down.
- When you start cleaning your kids ask if company is coming over.
- You have paid one of your older children to dust or perform some other chore because you just didn’t want to do it.
- You fully embrace there is no point in making a bed just to mess it up.
- Your idea of doing the laundry is putting it in the washer and dryer and then putting it on the couch. As it sits on the couch over the next few days you pick thru the pile for something to wear. Repeat as needed.
- Yelling at the tv, ordering thru the drive-thru, or calling the pediatrician is considered an acceptable form of adult interaction
- On a date night with the hubby you considered running away but knew the kids would find you somehow.
- You have locked yourself in your closet with a drink and a book just to have 10 minutes of alone.
- You are not ashamed to say Netflix kids is your favorite babysitter and without it, you may not get dinner cooked.
Those Parenting Skills tho
- Some of your key phrases are: walk it off, but did you die, and please God don’t let that be my kid
- You have slept in the recliner because your kid fell asleep on the beanbag chair and you didn’t want to move him but also didn’t want to leave him alone.
- Despite all the stresses and craziness you love your kids to a degree that you never thought possible and wouldn’t change it for anything
It’s Still Ok
Like I said at the beginning I’m a hot mess mom. Everything on my list I’ve done and continue to do. But you know what? It’s ok. My boys are all the proof I need hot mess or not my husband and I are raising them right.
I can look at my sons and see the love and the work that my husband and I continue to put in. I can see their progress and their growth. As they grow they are becoming the young men that me, their father, and God want them to be. So I may run on coffee, stink at the laundry, and sniff test clothes but when it comes to momming this hot mess has it right at least for now.
I so needed this today. Although I’m kinda ocd about cleaning and bed making I do the other things all the time. I never feel like I’m doing enough, but my kids also are great students and good kids. So somewhere in the chaos I’m doing something right apparently!