Why should you care about the benefits of essential oils? What are essential oils? How can they help you in your daily life? Essential oils can be beneficial for many things. One reason I include essential oils is because I was able to see firsthand the side effects pharmaceutical medication can have. I’m not saying do not take prescribed medicine because they can be very beneficial. I just prefer a more natural route with less side effects. This includes natural immune boosting items and remedies. One of the ways I use a holistic approach is through essential oils. I have a few favorite recipes including ones for stress and anxiety and a homemade bath salts with.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants. The oil is extracted through distillation using steam,water, or by mechanical methods such as cold pressing. Once the oil is derived it is combined with a carrier oil to make the oil ready for use.
How do Essential Oils Work?
They are most commonly used by inhaling them or rubbing them on the body. If using them directly on the skin always make sure to dilute with a carrier oil. These oils can reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety, balance out hormone levels, heal digestive disorders, disinfect, and aid in reducing cold and allergy symptoms.
Inhaling essential oils triggers powerful brain responses. Similarly, topical application allows the oils to quickly enter the bloodstream by being absorbed through skin tissue. I have found that applying topically with a carrier oil is great for muscle strain. Another excellent use of is for reducing congestion One recipe I use is a homemade bath salts with essential oils added recipe. It not only aids with achy muscles but opens up the sinuses to reduce congestion.
- 1 1/2 cups epson salts
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops rosemary essential oil
- 7 drops blue soap colorant (optional)
- 5 drops yellow soap colorant (optional)
- Measuring Cups
- Air tight container
1. Add the epson salts and baking soda to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
2. Add the essential oils and stir well to distribute.
3. Mix in the soap colorants and stir until your desired shade of green is achieved.
4. Transfer to an airtight glass container and store in a cool and dry place.
HOW TO USE
1. Add 1/4 cup of the vaporizing bath salts to your warm bath water.
2. Use your hand to circulate the bath salts around in the water and to activate the essential oils.
3. Sit back and enjoy the vaporizing effects of the peppermint, eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils. These bath salts are perfect for relieving sinus congestion and to ease sore and achy muscles.
You can also pack the mix in ice cube maker containers and freeze. Then pop a cube out to place in the shower or bath and let the aromas work.
Using essential oils can help in many aspects of life including cleaning, stress relief, disinfectant, and more. Stay tuned for more recipes I use in my daily life. What do you use in your life?