My families health is important to me so I have been trying to find ways to use our food to boost our health. One way I have been doing this is cutting sugars, reducing cards, and using fresh vegetables. I have found many recipes that my children love that I have been able to redo in a healthier manner.
One recipe my kiddos love is a pasta salad that I make. It uses spaghetti or whatever pasta of your choice. Tortellini is amazing in this recipe. But for the purpose of making it lower carb I omitted pasta and instead used zucchini making it a healthy pasta salad. I bought a nifty new vegetable spiralizer that cuts any veggie and makes it into “pasta”, slices, and more.
The healthy pasta salad that I make uses the setting that makes thick spirals. I use this blade because when I tried the thinner blade it made the zoodles too thin and they broke easily. When making this healthy pasta salad feel free to tweak it to your families nutritional needs. I have ommited the pepperoni for a meatless version. I have also used red wine vinegar instead of Italian dressing to give it a entirely new taste.
- 4 Good size zucchini
- 3 large slicing tomatoes cubed or you can use cherry tomatoes
- Pepperoni cute into fourths or they have these new mini pepperonis
- 16 oz Sharp cheddar cheese ( cubed)
- 4 cans black olives
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- Italian dressing
- Use Spiralizer to make zoodles.
- lace Zoodles on paper towel to absorb some water
- Dice Tomatoes and other veggies
- Cube cheddar cheese
- Put all ingredients in a bowl
- Add pepperoni
- Top with Salad dressing and stir so it coats all of it
- Top with Parmesean cheese
- Chill and serve
You have 2 choices as far as salad dressing. You can make your own with olive oil, seasonings, and some vinegar or use a big bottle of Zesty Italian dressing.