When you have children in school or daycare head lice is a reality. While I’m African American so generally speaking have enough oil in my hair that lice does not attach I do have biracial children and a Caucasian husband so I made it my goal to know a remedy just in case.
I found a lot of essential oils were reported to be a good defense against head lice. Oils make it so that the lice can’t latch onto the hair. With this knowledge I figured combine oils into one super-powered lice remedy. When a friend of my son’s did get head lice I mixed up a batch and both the mom and I were pleased with the results. Outside of caring for the hair a important thing to remember is cleaning. If you do have head lice make sure to boil all hair items such as combs or hair clips. Also wash all pillowcases, sheets, and shirts. This will help reduce the chance of reinfection.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I have not used this on anyone in my family as of yet but I did make some for a friend and she swears it works. She keeps some on hand for the school year.
Head Lice Remedy Recipe
- 6 TblS of coconut oil
- 2 Tbls of tea tree oil, anise oil, ylang ylang oil,
- 1 tbls lemon oil (optional but I put it in almost everything)
- 1 tbls rosemary oil
- 10 drops peppermint
- 2 cups of either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar **
- 1 cup of water
- Melt coconut oil.
- Add all the other ingredients to the oil
- Let oil cool
- Saturate the hair with the oil.
- Massage into the hair and comb it thru to the ends
- .Put a shower cap on and let sit for 1-2 hrs.
- Wash comb hair in warm/hot water
- Comb thru the hair again with a fine tooth comb
- Wash comb in hot water ( you can even boil it to be extra sure)
- Rinse the hair and then comb thru again
- Wash comb in hot water
- Mix 2 cups of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water.
- Spray the hair and massage thru to the ends.
- Comb thru the hair and rinse.
- Apply some coconut oil to the hair and let it stay on.
- Repeat for 3 days to ensure all the eggs and lice are removed efficiently.
** The vinegar dissolves the goop that holds the lice to the hair