Ever walk into your bathroom and immediately want to gag? You swear you just cleaned but still the smell of pee lingers. If you are a boy mom this is a reality. Boys pee standing up and no matter how big a toilet bowl is for a teeny tiny stream of pee they still ultimately miss. No one wants to live in a locker room, gag inducing smelly house. You want to get that pee smell out of the bathroom quick. So here are a few tips from this mom of 4 boys to get that pee smell out of your bathroom.
Gather Your Supplies
Now is the time to get your Hazmat suit ready. This may sound like I’m kidding but I’m not. My protection of choice are plastic gloves, a face mask, and clothes that I don’t wear out. Next you need your cleaning supplies.
- Spray bottle,bucket, or bowl with cleaning solution of your choice
- Tooth brush or scrub brush
- 3 rags
- Plastic or rubber gloves ( I mention this twice simply because it is sooooo important. )
Now that you have your supplies brace yourself because you’re going in. My favorite preparation is a essential oil diffuser necklace I have. A few drops of orange or lemon essential oils and it helps kill the smell. Those oils are also invigorating so they will help give you a little get going boost. I wear it so its nice and close for a emergency repeat sniff.
Fail Safe Pee Remedy Recipe
Alot of moms swear by bleach, pine sol, or even urine remover cleansers. These do all work but as a mom with kiddos with allergies and asthma I try to do a more natural and less chemical approach. Here is the recipe I use and it has not failed me yet and it is literally 2 ingredients.
- Baking Soda
- Lemon juice (I prefer fresh squeezed)
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice into a bowl
- Add Baking Soda to make a paste. You want it to be a thick paste not runny at all.
- Vinegar Cleanser
- Warm Water
Now to Clean
Ok you have your hazmat suit, you have prepped yourself mentally, and you have made your cleaning solution. The only thing left to do is to clean.
- Make sure you have those all important gloves on and rub the paste everywhere there is spray. This includes along the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor, under the seat, along the little screws that hold the seat to the toilet, behind the toilet, in any grout near the toilet, and any other nook and cranny you find questionable.
- Allow the paste to sit between 15-20 min. I like to use this time to clean the rest of my bathroom.
- Remove the lid to the toilet tank and add 1 cup of vinegar. This helps clean the toilet inside and out.
- Let the vinegar sit also before flushing.
- As you wait take a little of the paste and wipe down the walls near the toilet.
- If you have a shower curtain either rinse it down or take it down and throw it in the wash.
- Leave nothing unscrubbed
- After 15 min flush the toilet 2-3 times. I like to add a little vinegar again and sometimes a drop or 2 of orange essential oil.
- Next get the tooth brush or scrub brush pour a little vinegar on it and scrub all the areas that you put the baking soda paste.
- If you see any hard water build up make sure to scrub
- Spray toilet with Vinegar mix
- Use your bucket of warm water and rags to wipe down everything you have cleaned so you don’t leave baking soda residue.
With 4 boys this is my go to cleaning process to keep my bathrooms smelling good and not like urine. Hopefully this works for you. When you are done go relax and enjoy that your clean bathroom should last a few hours. Do you have any boy mom tips for keeping your bathroom clean? If yes please comment! I love to hear from my readers.