I am from back East so am used to seeing flowers and trees everywhere. When I first moved to AZ I love the trees and beauty here but missed the abundance of foliage. Then I found a little gem in the desert; Desert Botanical Gardens. It is a beautiful garden in the heart of Phoenix AZ and is right next to the Phoenix Zoo and Papago Park. It is home to thousands of species of cactus, trees and flowers from all around the world spread across 55 acres.
Locations and Phone Number
- 1201 N. Galvin PKWY Phoenix AZ 85008
- (480) 939-5656
Hours and Admission:
- Varies with time of year and events. Please check their site for accurate times
- General Admission (Daytime) – $24.95
- Youth 3 – 17 (Daytime) – $12.95
- Children under 3 – FREE
- Members – FREE
- Active Military Personnel – FREE (with valid government ID for General Admission only)
- *General Admission does not include special events or exhibitions.
- Every First Tuesday of the month entry is free
Plan Your Visit
Make sure to bring: Hat, sunscreen, water, camera, comfortable shoes, map of the gardens
When You first park and are walking into the gardens there are already photo ops. As you walk up to the gardens you will see a area to sign up for membership on your left. Directly ahead are the ticket booths. After paying for your ticket you can enter. To the left is first aid and restrooms. To the right is Gertrude’s a fine dining restaurant, the Garden Shop, and rest rooms. After you go past you can begin exploring.
There are multiple paths available for exploration:
- Sonoran Desert Nature Loop Trail
- Center for Desert Living Trail
- Desert Discovery Loop Trail
- Harriet K Maxwell Desert Wildflower Loop Trail
- Plants and People of the Sonoran Desert Loop Trail
As you walk the trails there are many other things to see. One of my favorite spots is the library they have over 9,000 books and 500 journal titles, focusing on native plants of our desert region. The library is open Mon-Fri 12-4.
In addition to the library there are many other attractions.
- Butterfly Garden
- Bee Garden
- Hummingbird Garden
- Shade Garden
- and More