One of the many reasons I love autumn is the comfort food. The temperatures start to lower and it is the perfect time for all the yummy chilli and soups. One of my family’s favorite soups is chicken and broccoli soup. I love that I can put it in the slow cooker and go about my day and come back to a delicious stick to your bones meal. My crock pot is pretty much my favorite kitchen item so the fact I can use it to make this soup and a bunch of other ones is just about the best thing ever.
- 2 large chicken breast
- 2 broccoli heads
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp Chicken base
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 tsp of seasoned salt (¼ onion powder, ¼ garlic powder, ¼ salt, ¼ pepper)
- 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- In a skillet, add olive oil and heat on med/high heat. Add chicken and brown on each side until fully cooked.
- While chicken is cooking and dry your veggies. Add the carrot, celery and onion to the food chopper and chop until finely chopped.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and set aside. In same skillet add the carrot, celery, onion mix and saute until tender.
- Now prepare the broccoli by removing all stems from the broccoli. Chop the broccoli with the food chopper.
- Place a slow cooker liner to your slow cooker if you are using one.
- Dice the cooled chicken and add to the slow cooker as well as your veggies.
- In a bowl, combine chicken base and water and mix thoroughly. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add in the heavy cream, seasoned salt and cornstarch to the slow cooker and seal the lid.
- Cook on High for 4 hours.
- Once done remove lid and stir thoroughly.
You can also substitute ham for chicken. My family likes either meat option