When you have children in school or daycare head lice is a reality. While I’m African American so generally speaking have enough oil in my hair that lice does not attach I do have biracial children and a Caucasian husband so I made it my goal to know a remedy just in case. In our family I like to use more natural remedies.
I was thrilled when I discovered I could use coconut oil to get rid of lice and that there were alot of options for a more natural remedy for head lice. I found a lot of essential oils were reported to be a good defense against head lice. Oils make it so that the lice can’t latch onto the hair. With this knowledge I figured combine oils into one super-powered lice remedy. When a friend of my son’s did get head lice I mixed up a batch and both the mom and I were pleased with the results. Here is my recipe for a natural way to get rid of head lice.
Cleaning is Essential
When a friend of my son’s did get head lice I mixed up a batch and both the mom and I were pleased with the results. It made getting the lice off his head time consuming but easy. One thing that was essential to making sure the lice stayed gone was cleaning. Make sure to boil all hair items such as combs or hair clips. Also wash all pillowcases, sheets, and shirts. This will help reduce the chance of reinfection. If you do not clean then the lice could live on any fabric or hair items and then reinfect. Once you make and use the natural remedy for head lice that I provide below you will not want your kiddo to get reinfected because they came in contact with lice on clothes or hair accessories. So make sure you deep clean to ensure that does not happen.
Natural Remedy for Head Lice Recipe
Natural Remedy For Head Lice
2 in one remedy for head lice. It uses coconut oil, essential oils, and apple cider vinegar to remove and kill lice and nits
- 6 tblS of coconut oil
- 2 tbls of tea tree oil,
- 1 tbls lemon oil (optional but I put it in almost everything)
- 1 tbls rosemary oil
- 10 drops peppermint
- 2 cups of either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar **
- 1 cup of water
- OPTIONAL anise oil, ylang ylang oil
- Microwave safe cup
- Comb preferably a fine tooth comb or a lice comb to effectively remove lice and nits
- Plastic shower cap
- Small spray bottle
- Melt coconut oil.
- Add all the other ingredients to the oil
- Let oil cool
- Saturate the hair with the oil.
- Massage into the hair and comb it thru to the ends
- .Put a shower cap on and let sit for 1-2 hrs.
- Wash comb hair in warm/hot water
- Comb thru the hair again with a fine tooth comb
- Wash comb in hot water ( you can even boil it to be extra sure)
- Rinse the hair and then comb thru again
- Wash comb in hot water
- Mix 2 cups of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of water.
- Spray the hair and massage thru to the ends.
- Comb thru the hair and rinse.
- Apply some coconut oil to the hair and let it stay on. (not a ton just enough to provide a light coating)
- Repeat for 3 days to ensure all the eggs and lice are removed efficiently.
This is great to know. I love to use natural remedies whenever possible. Thankfully, we’ve not run into head lice yet, but I’ll know where to come if we do!
This is helpful! I will be sure to share with some of my mom friends with school aged kiddos!
Natural remedies are always great.
I will keep this remedy in mind if I ever have to deal with lice. So far we have been lucky not to have gotten lice. I do put teatree oil in our shampoo and conditioner as a preventative as well as making sure the kids use hair spray or gel when we style their hair in the mornings.
What a great natural remedy! I had lice as a child and it was a nightmare. I used to catch them so easily from other kids cause I’ve always had long hair. Hope my daughter never has to go through this!
Thank you! Ive never had it either but Im ready just in case lol