I always see those plaster casts of hand prints and decided there had to be a cheaper way to capture the moment. That’s when I discovered salt dough. Once you make it if you set it out in the sun or bake it on low for a few hrs it will harden up and you have your keepsake.
Mix salt and water together and add water slowly.Make sure to add water slowly or as Alijah’s face shows it will be sticky.
Knead the dough for about 10 min
Shape the dough and roll it out
Make your shapes or keepsake and bake. You can either use food coloring to dye dough before or you can paint after. Alijah wanted to paint.
- 2 Cups of Flour
- 1 Cup Salt
- 1 Cup Cold Water
- Measuring Cup
- Cookie Sheet
- Mix salt and flour together in a bowl
- Slowly mix in water a few tbls at a time until dough is smooth and easy to be handled
- Knead dough about 5-10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 250 if you are going to bake it. You can also just set it out in the sun but I find it stays better if you bake it.
- Form into desired shapes
- If doing a hand or foot print have them press down firmly to create indentation
- Arrange on cookie sheet
- Bake at 250 for 2-3 hrs or until hard. Or set in the sun for 6-10 hours
You can use food coloring to color the dough if wanted.
We opted to paint ours as that's what the kiddo wanted to do but that is optional also.
Have fun shaping it into forms. My kiddo used my rolling pin and loved it.