Count to 3 and take a Deep Breath

This morning started out as one of those days. I woke up and everything just seemed like if it could go wrong it was going to go wrong. But I did what I always do. I pulled my big girl panties up and I kept it moving. Then my 10 yr old asked could he take his bike to school Count to 3 and take a Deep Breath  so he could ride to his friend’s house after. Sure kid why not? So he goes to load it in my Excursion. After a few minutes, I go to check on him. Just in time to see him knock the side of the rear hatch with his handlebars. Well, the hatch comes crashing down and lands on the handlebar just perfectly that my back window shattered.

Now I wanted to yell I wanted to scream and stomp my foot like a toddler but in that moment I looked at my son. His eyes were glistening with tears. Mind you this is my straight A, starter football player, hardly ever gets in trouble kid. His heart in his eyes he says 3 simple words. Mommy, I’m sorry. And looking at him I could see the hurt he was feeling thinking I was going to be upset.

The hurt I would never want him to feel. So I pushed my anger aside and gave him a hug and told him accidents happen and that’s what full coverage glass coverage is for. Then I went a step further I told him while I forgave him and understood accidents happen he had to clean it up. So he and I together swept it up and disposed of the remnants of my back window. Then his friends mom picked him up and took him to school. And s soon as her car pulled around the corner I stomped my foot and called the hubby yelling. He showed up with coffee and pie proud I didn’t yell at our kiddo zbut knowing I needed the coffee and pie. He called our insurance and called our glass guy easy peasy it was handled. I

am fortunate to have him because honestly after the morning I had it was the straw that broke the camels back and it was the one more I couldn’t handle. I sat on the couch to eat pie and wallow in self-pity when I got a text from my son. It said “mommy I’m so sorry. Thank you for not being angry at me. I love you. I’m sorry and I hope you have a better day.” And just like that, I did. I realized my son could have gone to school feeling upset or like I was angry. He could have felt unsure all day or guilty. But instead, because I took a deep breath and counted to 3 before I responded he went to school recognizing he did something, confidence rebuilt because he fixed it the best he could, and confident that no matter what I loved him and it would all be ok. Knowing he was ok and that most importantly he and I were ok was more important than any window. So my advice is take a deep breath and count to 3 when it really matters. #boymomdaze #mommydaze #momlife

Spread the love

17 Comments

1. Rose
    October 27, 2017 / 9:42 pm

What a sweet son you have! What an awesome mom you are! Great job for you and if something happens to me that’s equally as bad I hope I can count breath and count to 3 first! Great example of control, self restraint at the most important moment and hey I want some pie!

2. Rambles and Runaways
    October 27, 2017 / 11:25 pm

What a brutal day!! Your son and husband sound so sweet! And good on you for being able to recognize when you needed to take a deep breath. Well done mama!

3. Nicole Anderson
    October 28, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Reading this post really made me feel so good. What a wonderful example of the count to 5 principle. You controlled things so well and your son is so much the better for it. More power to you.

4. October 28, 2017 / 8:39 pm

I loved this story. Your family sounds so sweet. A reminder for me to have patience like you.

5. October 28, 2017 / 9:54 pm

This is such a great post. We all need this reminder. AND way to go hubby with the coffee and pie!!! That’s so sweet.

6. shfleming1984
    October 29, 2017 / 5:10 pm

It is so easy to react and not stop and take a deep breath. More often then not, if you react, you will say or do something that you will regret! Breathing and thinking through your reactions saves more hurt in the long run! Easier said than done sometimes!! I am glad your day was able to turn around.

7. livewellplaytogether
    October 29, 2017 / 6:42 pm

Excellent advice. It’s important to step back and take a minute to breathe sometimes!

8. October 30, 2017 / 4:30 am

This is the sweetest! I need to remember to pause and breathe more often too!

9. October 30, 2017 / 11:24 am

A perfect example of parenting done right. It’s important that we control our reactions in order to teach meaningful lessons without being angry.

10. Nicole Dortch
    November 1, 2017 / 5:00 pm

Lord knows I’ve had days like this. This is a reminder not only to act out when things go wrong but to also teach our children that you can handle situations without acting out. You both learned something that day! Good job mama!

11. audriaallred
    November 7, 2017 / 6:14 am

I love how well this was put together. It was written exactly how it is being a mom. Some days you do need to count to 3 and breath!

12. Michelle Johnson
    November 9, 2017 / 2:14 am

Aww, mom of 3 boys, I totally understand those days, so glad your day got better and such a sweet boy you have

13. November 15, 2017 / 11:16 pm

I am glad that you were able to be patient and gracious to your son, and that he, in turn, was able to be gracious and grateful to you too. Great story! Good advice for things that I have been dealing with as well.

14. November 15, 2017 / 11:27 pm

You have such a sweet boy. You are blessed 🙂

15. November 16, 2017 / 1:05 pm

Aww, you both reacted to an unforeseeable accident very well it seems. My youngest did not put on the wii remote strap around her wrist a few years back and while they were playing, she flung it to the new tv my hubby had just purchased a few months before and shattered it! It took every ounce of self control that night but she was very sorry and was an utter mess because of it. Needless to say, EVERYONE wore that strap from then on when playing games and now in her 20’s, we tease her about it jokingly 😉

16. Aarika
    November 17, 2017 / 5:27 pm

Thank you for sharing this story. Your decision to show your son patience and love during a frustrating situation is beautiful and inspiring. Kiddos are always watching and learning from us. That was a great teaching moment. Cheers!

17. November 18, 2017 / 10:37 am

Your son and husband sound so sweet. Great advice!! I always forgot to take a deep breath.