Love is one of the most precious commodities in the universe. It is more than just saying I love you. I like to tell my children that yes saying I love you is important but that actions speak louder than words. Showing people you love them will be remembered long after the words are forgotten. One of my favorite books is The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It lets you and whoever else take a test to determine how you receive love. Our family took the test and it was interesting to see that we were all a different love language. If you are interested in taking the test with a loved one just click here. In the meantime here are the love languages and 10 ways to show each one that you love them.
Words Of Affirmation
This language uses words to affirm or praise other people. My husband is tied with this and physical touch. He thrives and feels loved when you tell him. Here are ways I show him I love him
- Say I love you often
- Encourage them
- Praise their effort
- I created an I love you book for my husband so he could see what I love
- Tell others about his good qualities
- Thank them for big things they do
- Thank them for even daily things that are expected for them to do
- Let them know you notice them by saying I noticed you……
- Talk to them
- Smile at them. Your facial expressions can sometimes transmit what words do not
Gift Ideas For Words of Affirmation
These little books are a hit with my family and friends who thrive on affirmation. They allow you to write about what it is that you love about that person. Its perfect for anyone who just needs to hear your praise to truly feel like you love them.
Acts of Service
Actions speak louder than words for people who see love thru acts of service. This does not mean you need to be their slave but doing little things for them is how they receive love.
- Help them with their work
- Cook them dinner
- Help them fold their laundry
- Give them a mani/pedi
- A relaxing massage
- Complete a project for them
- Fill up their gas tank so they do not have to
- Make them their morning cup of coffee
- Run them a bath
- Help them with their chores
Gift Ideas For Acts Of Service
Some people feel loved when they are given gifts. It needs to be a gift that shows you really thought of them. Something they would truly appreciate.
- If they enjoy reading a gift card to a bookstore or to Kindle bookstore
- Tickets to their favorite artist
- Gift Card to their favorite restaurant
- If they enjoy cars tickets to Nascar or a local car show
- For a mom a day at the spa
- Flowers. I have given my husband flowers and it made his day
- Their favorite dessert
- An item that you noticed them wanting. For example, always wanted a black diamond and my husband got me one for our 10th anniversary. The fact he noticed something I wanted meant more than the actual gift.
- It can be something simple. My husband has been bringing me little-stuffed animals since we started dating. He usually gets them at the dollar store or somewhere inexpensive but the fact he thought of m means the world.
- Tickets to an event you can enjoy together.
Gift Ideas for Receiving Gifts
Anything that you know the person would enjoy. Even if it is something not appealing to you it will mean the world to them that you got them something they would enjoy.
These are people that feel loved by the time you spend with them. This to me is my 2nd most important. I don’t care what we do as long as its together
- Read a book together. Make it a book they would enjoy
- Watch a movie with them of their choosing
- Sit outside under the stars
- Draw or Color together
- Tickets to Paint night and go together
- Ask them to go for a walk with you
- Go for a mini vacation with them
- Take them on a drive and listen to their favorite songs
- Ask them if there is something they would like to do with you
- Get tickets and take them to something they want to experience with you. My son and I have done everything from Beauty and the Beast on Broadway to Monster Jam
Gift Ideas for Quality Time
Some people respond to physical touch. This is my son Alijah and myself. If you love me I feel it when you touch me. This doesn’t mean inappropriate touch. It can be a pat on my shoulder, a hug, or even a fist bump. My son Alijah I have seen actually respond as if he is physically hurt if someone he loves does not offer a hug. To him, that is how he says I love you.
- Hug them
- Hold their hand
- Fist bump or high five if that is the relationship
- Cuddle with them
- With Alijah I lay in his bed and red him a story and he will snuggle up until he falls asleep. Without the cuddle, he will not sleep.
- A back or shoulder rub
- Foot rub
- An appropriate kiss
- Scalp massage
- Hold them when they need to be held
** Extra thing for this one is buy them fuzzy socks or adult pjs in a soft material. My hubby buys these for me and when I’m feeling down I can wear them and the softness relaxes me and also reminds me that they were a gift from him**
Gift Ideas For Physical Touch
I really enjoyed the book the 5 love languages and you have made it easier for me to incorporate that into gifts. And practicing it with our children which is great insight. I really like the layout and theme of your blog. Keep it up! 🙂
I had never read the book until my son entered 3rd grade and his teacher had each kiddo take the test.It meant so much the teacher took the time to care how she should treat each child individually and I thought it was such a great idea we did it at home. Thank you for the compliment on my blog!!
I never realized how many ways there are to show someone you love them… Sometimes when you live with someone for so long, you don’t even think about showing your love and gratitude.
Thank you for this great reminder and for helping spread more love!
I love these tips. Definitely helping each other, and giving one another message are great. Thanks for sharing.
I’ve recently read a few personal development books that recommend using affirmations and I’ve found them to make such a difference in my everyday happiness and well-being.
I think most people overlook how deep and meaningful and act can actually be… Once we put things into perspective, it’s surprising to really understand how we can cherish one another! adorable list, by the way 🙂
That is great, I always say those words of affirmation to my kids, but now, you make me realize, I should do the same with my hubby. Thanks for sharing.
Since learning about the concept of love languages, my understanding of my relationships and the communication within them has totally changed. This post is a great way to turn theory into action- will definitely turn to this list when creating ways to care for the various people in my life.
I love your acts of service. I find lately everyone tends to give gifts that benefit them more than the person receiving it. And it’s a frustrating thing to watch. The gift should be for the person and not you.
I’ve never read the book but have heard about the 5 love languages. What a wonderful idea to put a gift guide together! I made my husband a “10 reasons I love you” book that I gave to him the day before we got married. And you can never go wrong with a pair of fuzzy comfy socks for me!
Your post is a great example for people to know that you need not always have to gift something in kind to show your love.. at time small gestures and words are all that is needed
This is a perfect post to read right before Valentine’s Day! Meaningful gifts are the best! Wonderful gift ideas 🙂
I really need to read this book and take the test. Anytime I see anything about I can never realize which one I am. I love them all!
I love all these thoughtful tips! I didn’t really think about words of affirmation would be a type of gift, but it really is! 🙂 I also love all your ideas for quality time!
I love that book! Its so important to realize and understand what our partners love languages are, especially if they are different than our own!
This is so helpful! My husband and I have different love languages and I struggle with what to get him for Valentine’s Day.
I have never heard of these books but I need to check them out.
I’m giving my boyfriend one thing from each category. Thanks for new gifting ideas <3
These are some amazing ideas. Valentines day is just around the corner and these will come handy.